Node.js has a very nice module system that is easy to understand, yet distinguishes between the exports of a module and things that should be private to it. This post explains how the code of a Node.js module can be modified so that it works on both Node.js and web browsers. It also explains how to unit-test such code.
The press releaseQuoting the official HP press release [via MacRumors]:
- HP confirms that it is in discussions with Autonomy [Corporation, see below] regarding a possible offer for the company.
- HP will consider a broad range of options [for its Personal Systems Group (PSG)] that may include, among others, a full or partial separation of PSG from HP through a spin-off or other transaction.
- In addition, HP reported that it plans to announce that it will discontinue operations for webOS devices, specifically the TouchPad and webOS phones. HP will continue to explore options to optimize the value of webOS software going forward.
Update 2011-08-19. Tweet from JSDoc’s creator, Michael Mathews:
Awesome article about JSDoc. I learned (er remembered) a few things from reading it myself! via @rauschma 2ality.com/2011/08/jsdoc-intro.html
The news in a nutshell:
- Motorola recently spun off its mobile division into Motorola Mobility.
- Google has purchased that company for $12.5 billion.
- Probable main reason for purchasing Motorola: to get patents for defending Android against attacks.
Die Helfer müssen mit Menschen, die extremistisch denken, in Dialog treten, sie müssen sie im Gespräch herausfordern. Ich selbst habe viel mit Radikalen gearbeitet, mit Rassisten in den Südstaaten der USA, die ähnlich realitätsferne Gedanken hatten wie Breivik. Meine Freunde haben immer gesagt, das bringe doch nichts. Aber das stimmt nicht: Diese Leute wollen, dass man ihre Ideen in Frage stellt, sie lechzen danach, als Gesprächspartner ernst genommen zu werden.Loose translation:
Social workers have to seek out a dialog with people with extremist thinking, they have to challenge them in a conversation. I myself have worked much with radicals, with racists in the southern states of the USA whose thoughts were similarly removed from reality to Breivik’s. My friends have always told me that that’s no use. But that’s not true: Those people want their ideas to be questioned, they long to be taken seriously in a conversation.Having these kinds of conversations is not easy, but it is necessary, because it provides a reality check to their thinking.
Update: Inspired by a comment from Kevin Roberts, I’ve added a third way of accessing generic methods, and a conclusion.