Prior solutionsPreviously in the realm of webapp GUI layouting:
- There were a number of interesting proposals to adapt CSS layouting to the needs of GUI application developers. None of them really took off.
- Palm presented Enyo, a framework that allows one to dynamically change layout depending on the size of the screen (think cell phone versus tablet).
The only thing missing is the option to declare several columns (or rows) to have the same size. This is useful for the final button row in dialogs (“OK”, “Cancel”, ...) where all buttons should have the same size.
- “JGoodies :: Forms”: Check out their whitepaper, very clear analysis of the issues that arise in GUI layouting.
- Update 2011-04-13: Internet Explorer 10 is good for webapp developers [IE10 supports Grid Layout]
- Update 2012-03-26: CSS Grid Layout is coming to Firefox in 2012