- Everything is text. This does have disadvantages, but the advantages are obvious: easily exchanged by email, put into version control, a format many applications understand, etc.
- Hyperlinks to emails, web pages, files, etc. inside content
- Meta-data such as tags and dates attached to content
- Tables: continuously aligns all the cells of a column and can move columns around.
- Spreadsheets: you can perform calculations in tables
- Publishing: content can be published as HTML and LaTeX
Emacs org-mode: notes, planning, authoring – in plain text
Emacs contains all kinds of craziness, but this is one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time: org-mode is an Emacs mode that does outlining, planning and authoring, all in plain text. A few of the highlights: